Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Click The Image And Watch ---->

I watched this video last night and it broke my heart. Especially the little girl who chose the white baby as opposed to the black one. She is an adorable little girl and already at such a young age, she believes she is bad, that her colour is bad, that her skin is bad. White=good, Black=bad. How on earth did it come to this? Why has it come to this? Who has told her poor little spirit that she belongs to the "bad" people? I almost cried watching this. Why all the discrimination? Why do we have to be racist? There is nothing wrong with differnt skin colours! I think black people are beautiful. For us white folks to think that we are superior in any way is nothing short of evil. The whole documentary is fantastic but the part with the children picking which doll the prefer, grabs me and holds me there. I haven't been able to get those images out of my head. These are the things that prompt me to pray on my face and cry for their spirits. I cry for the world who think they have the right to choose who is better. I think of the song by Casting Crowns called, "If we are the body" and in the bridge it goes, "Jesus payed much to high a price for us to pick and choose who should come." HOW TRUE!! So what makes us think that we have any rights to other human beings at all?? We don't! Aw but it bothers me so much to think that our society says that black people among others, are bad. Really, I feel ashamed because it seems that the white people are the bad ones. I belong to the "bad" colour. It's been the white people who have enslaved people of different colours, who have kicked the natives off of their land. I am native but my skin is white. I am just as much a part of this image.
I think if we really knew Jesus, if we really knew God...like KNEW him, these things that concern us, the colour of skin, who occupies which piece of land, who is smarter etc. would be so irrelevent! There is so much more important things to worry about! ALL humans are sinful no matter what colour we are.
So the most disturbing thing about this whole thing is that, that adorable little girl is going to grow up believing she is "bad" and somehow unworthy. The fact that she ALREADY thinks this, is so heart breaking. I imagine Jesus' heart is sad for children everywhere who feel that way. I look at my baby girl and she is so innocent and beautiful. If she ever came to me and said she felt "bad" or "unoworthy" or somehow not proud of who she is, it would make me so sad. Jesus loves all of his children...no matter the colour.
What are your thoughts on this eye opening documentary?

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I can't see your vid clip, but this documentary is worth watching, too:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/

It's an encouraging look at what happens when we teach our kiddo's equality. It'll take your breath away...but first it will make you question your own secret prejudice.